FoodCaresBOSTON, a program of Baraka Community Wellness, began in the summer of 2016 and provides access to free fresh heal thy food, educational resources and programming for families and children within public housing and low income communities that are experiencing food insecurity. Every week the families we help receive approximately 10 pounds of fresh produce and healthy grocery items at no cost. Since 2016 we have distributed 154,380 pounds of Fresh Health Food to 2753 family members including 1744 children in need. Through your support, the GoodBox helps us operate our program and help people in need while supporting "ultra" local urban agriculture and the growers within the cities and towns of New England.
• One in 9 Eastern MA residents don’t know where their next meal will come from.
• 22,000 Families with 7000 children between birth and 18 live in public housing below the Federal Poverty Line.
• There are 375,695 food insecure households in Massachusetts.
• The food insecurity rate in Massachusetts has increased by 71% and it's stayed there.
• 38% of children in low-income families have only one parent who is employed either part year or part-time. That's 154,478 children.
• The poverty rate in Massachusetts is the highest it’s been since 1960.
A Whole Lot of Good in a Box...and More!